Sunday, April 16, 2006

All Hail Monaco!

Simply put, the best $8.00 I have spent this year has been on Johnny Monaco. I can’t exactly say that I favor the concept of the EP (less tracks than a normal length CD), and I would have been willing to pay $20.00 for a few more songs. Yes, it is that good.

Johnny has a sound that I would definitely consider modern, definitely call it “poppy,” but I would not be embarrassed if any of my hockey buddies found it in my CD player (unlike Good Charlotte or Bowling for Soup). As a fan of a lot of the pop-rock bands that are on the market today, I do sometimes feel out of touch (at an advanced age of 36) due to some of the lyrical content. Silly me. Monaco has a lot of similar sound qualities as nearly anything on the radio today, but his words are a little more honest and mature. The fact that he’s not 19 (or pretending to be) is a relief to an older music fan like myself. With no tattoos and not a skateboard in sight, I am glad to have come across this gem.

An indie record label with somewhat decent distribution should take a chance and make Johnny Monaco an offer. He would not be out of place opening for a smaller act with a rabid following. Butch Walker in particular comes to mind.
Visit his myspace site and rock out to “The Wrong Crowd.” Dig into the sofa cushions and look under the car seat for $8.00 worth of loose change, and add him to your CD collection today.

No really! I mean it.

No comments: